Saturday, May 09, 2015

Weekend in Sarasota Florida

Sarasota, Florida makes for a fabulous weekend getaway. Now I know you are going to say well how can you not have a great time anywhere in Florida but let me tell that Sarasota is for me by far the best. It may have only been for the weekend but I am looking forward to finding a piece of Sarasota real estate and moving here soon.

You must take a leisurely walk through the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens and see all the wondrous plants and their blossoming flowers. I had never seen so many beautiful colors. Then I went to the Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium, the have the cutest manatees for you to see. That was just day one! Even the nights were magnificent with a lovely sunset from my hotel room overlooking the Sarasota Springs. I could see the Ed Smith Stadium from my room. I do not know if there was a game being played that night but next time I am here I will be sure to pick up tickets and check it out for myself.

Also check out things to do in Marion County, Florida.

My second day in Sarasota started with a nice trip to the local market to pick up items for a picnic that I had planned at the springs. It was so nice to just relax and enjoy the sunlight and nice warm water. It was not too hot or too cold even with being right on the water of the Gulf of Mexico. Then I went into Sarasota to try out some fine dining and local cuisine, I finished dinner with a play at the Sarasota Opera house. Opera singing is just so soothing and whimsical. My last day was probably my favorite of all three days. I spent the entire day at the Big Cat Habitat and Gulf Coast Sanctuary. I am a big fan of any big cat but my favorite had to be the tigers. They are so fierce and majestic at the same time.

It is wonderful how so many zoos and sanctuaries help keep animals like the tiger from going extinct. I got to learn about the local habitats as well such as the sand-hill cranes that are protected here on the coast. We must do our part and keep the coast clean and safe for these birds and others like them to continue to thrive as they do. Each species is precious in their own unique way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sarasota is amazing, and not just for a weekend, either! You could spend an entire week there easily and not get bored if you wanted to.

- Mark Coppens